Update : During the last few days we have been observing the Rediffmail service is not performing to the satisfaction . There are constant problems due to which some times we face issues like site is not acessible or emails are recieved late. Unless Rediffmail makes it service foolproof people would shot to Gmail as it provides superior service . If u want to retain rediffmail account but move to gmail , one option is to but POP3 access at Rs 300/year from rediff and configure POP3 account on Gmail .
Rediffmail is the free email service provided by India’s leading independent internet portal rediff.com. One of the most popular email services in India having millions of users . Rediffmail is now rebranded as REDIFFMAIL NG -The Next Generation Rediffmail.
www.rediffmail.com is the site which is used to login to the rediffmail portal (in fact it leads to rediff.com site where you need to click on rediffmail NG Logo). Upon clicking on the logo user is prompted to enter his/her user name password .
Upon entering the user name and password , the user has an option to keep himself signed on to rediffmail if he/she is using own PC for accessing . This option of rediffmail.com is usefull , but also is harmful when accessed from a shared PC like a Cyber cafe. Would have preferred if rediffmail had not made this as the default option .
Using Rediffmail Service
Once logged in user can choose between classic version of rediffmail meant for slower internet connections and the Rediffmail NG version meant for faster internet connections. The search functionality of www.rediffmail.com on both rediffmail NG and rediffmail classic leaves a lot to be desired as it takes ages to search the content . This feature is so important if you are offering unlimited storage that i cannot underline it more than anything as i am considering to change my email account from rediffmail to gmail due to this simple reason of not having a search functionality.
We will first tackle the Rediffmail NG version which is meant for faster internet connections. With this rediffmail has tried to bring gmail type of functionalities by making the inbox ajax enabled . This means that one can read the email without having to reload the page.
The rediffmail also provides a service from which one can send free sms to Airtel, Loop Mobile, Vodafone, MTNL or Reliance subscriber from the rediffmail window itself. To do this one has to select the “send sms” link and then enter the number followed by the message.
For slower connections one may use the rediffmail classic access . User can switch between the modes by clicking on the “classic” or ” Take me to new rediffmail” buttons.
The rediffmail classic is the older version of the service and is suited for slower speeds of internet connection. This does not work with ajax technologies hence all new emails will open in another page.
Rediffmail NG -mobile
In keeping up with times rediffmail also has launched a mobile version of the rediffmail.com service. This service allows you to access www.rediffmail.com emails on your mobile . But this service is not free and comes at a monthy charge of Rs 50 (no data access charges) . This service called as rediffmail NG Mobile can be accessed from most mobiles and as rediff has a tieup with service provides all data access charges (GPRS) charges for rediffmail.com will be waived off by the operators.
Click here to see list of compatible handsets <Rediffmail Mobile Handset>
To use this service one has to buy “Rediffmail NG with RediffTouchNet” account online by using your credit card (other payment options too possible).
Compare Rediffmail & Gmail and where do they stand
Rediffmail has 25 million customers in India and now that we are getting gmail as an option hence i am comparing the two to make the decision on whether once should move from Rediffmail to Gmail. If you dont have a rediff account then it is best to use gmail directly and there are no dilemma . So let me compare gmail versus rediff’s email.
Pros of Rediff ‘s Email service
- Its user interface works well with slow connections especially the classic version of rediffmail.
Cons of Rediff ‘s Email service versus gmail
- Gmail’s search is far superior to Rediffmail search and this in fact is the biggest problem facing rediffmail.The search offered by rediff is elimentary at best and does not work if you have large amounts of email stored in the email box. This is unpardonable for a service offering unlimited storage.
- Gmail also scores with features like priority inbox which shows all emails from frequentenly accessed contacts hence making it easy to sort through important emails . But this feature is only for professional users and does not hold much value for a normal Indian user.
- Online chat within the mailbox . All contacts to which you have emailed will showup in the chat window within the email inbox itself for chatting and this is a neat function because most times email is not the best means to discuss topics . Rediff does not offer this feature, though it does offer rediff bol instant messenger service.
- Gmail also organizes all related emails in a sort of transactions hence making it easy to corelate the whole email conversation. This is not there in rediff .
- Last but not the least it also backed by Google technology hence is always on unlike rediff which does go down a few number of times in the year .
- Gmail has advanced features like auto suggest of people to be included in an email
Demographics of Rediff.com’s users
The demographics of rediffmail users can be derived from the rediff.com’s demographics and it is an interesting information as it provides insights on how rediff has managed to survive the scare of scores of Indian portals launched .
Traffic Rank in India and world
As per Alexa rediff.com(hence rediffmail) is ranked as the 9 most popular website from India and around 159 th website in the overall traffic in the world . This makes it an very influential brand in India and rightly so as it has invested in building the portal over so many years.
Countries from where visitors visit the most
Rediff mail is mostly used in India and other markets where we have substantial portion of India diaspora . Thus it is no surprise to find 90% of traffic from India and then around 3.5 % traffic from USA and the rest slit across UK , UAE and other states. Another think to note as per Alexa is despite rediff.com being a large portal most of its traffic i.e around 40% comes from rediff mail this shows how influential the email service is.
Tidbits on Rediff
- Rediff.com has 95 million registered users and around 30% of them are using the email services so this puts the number of active users for the email service to be around 30 million which is a big number considering that india has only 40 million internet connections . As per Alexa more than 90% of the visitors using rediff.com ‘s email service are from India and the remaining are mainly concentrated in US, Uk and other countries.
- Rediff was one of the first indian website and email service to be advertised on TV using the slogan “Lighting Fast“
- Rediffl also was the first email service to offer unlimited storage ahead of others like yahoomail , gmail etc.
Explore similar articles:
- Gmail: Get free email from www.gmail.com
- IRCTC login: online booking for trains tickets
- IRCTC LOGIN: Book Railway Tickets on India railways
This page has 2,725,185 views